One of the most challenging moments in life is to bid farewell to someone you love or care for. As a Muslim, we must trust Allah’s (S.W.T.) will and to pray for the mercy and forgiveness of the deceased.
Markham Masjid’s dedicated staff and volunteers extend all possible support in arranging the funeral process as smooth as possible.
Funeral Process (4)
Step 1: Body PickupMarkham Masjid’s representative picks up the deceased body from Coroner’s office/ Hospitals/Retirement home/Airports or the Home and brings it to Markham Masjid.
Step 2: Paperwork at Markham MasjidThe family/guardian of the deceased need to do the following:
- Provide two government-issued photos ID’s of the deceased (Acceptable ID’s are Drivers License, Passport or Citizenship card)
- Fill out three forms, which are Statement of Death – Form 15, Family Questionnaire & Burial Services & Cemetery Information (Family to provide grave plot number and buyers name on this form)
- Family pays for the grave and burial services charge. Check for payment and pricing info at Price List.
- Assist family in filling out forms and documents
- Verify all information including review the “Death Certificate – Form 16”
- Fax the “Burial Services & Cemetery Information” to the Cemetery requesting to open a grave.
- Perform the final rites of the deceased according to Islamic rulings, which are limited to body washing and wrapping in a shroud only with the help of volunteers and family members.
- Submit “Statement of Death – Form 15“, “Death Certificate – Form 16” along with blank “Burial Permit” to the City Office. The city will issue a “Burial Permit” while keeping other forms in their records.
- Organize and perform Janaza prayer right after Zuhr salat
- Transport the coffin to the cemetery for burial. (Cemetery accepts burials 7 days a week until 3:30 pm).
- Provide 10 signed copies of “Proof-of-Death Certificate” to the family (which may be used to inform Government offices, banks and other institutions)
Funeral is processed according to Sunni Muslim practice.
We do not promote embalming of the deceased for transporting overseas.
Volunteers must follow Mortuary Room Hygenic procedures as instructed by the Funeral Coordinator.
Volunteers must adhere to strict confidentiality rules and not share or disclose any info about bathing of the deceased.
Deceased body can only be stored for one night.
Grave & Services (At Burial Time)
Payable to Islamic Society of Markham by Cheque
|Bathing, Shroud, Coffin & Transport||$1,180.53|
|City Registratin Fee||$50|
Services & Transport Only
|Bathing, Shroud, Coffin & Transport||$1,180.53|
|City Registration Fee||$50|
Baby Funeral Services (including taxes and City Registration Fee $50)
|Still Born or Baby (No Transport)||$400|
|Still Born or Baby (With Transport)||$500|
Grave Opening & Closing Fee (including taxes) *
Payable to Toronto Muslim Cemetery Corp.
|Adult Standard Depth||$1,100|
|Adult Extra Depth||$1,300|
|Still Born/Child (2ft Box)||$700.00|
|Infant/Child (4ft Box)||$1,196.25|
*subject to change, please refer to the Cemetery price list
The family needs to pay ISM for the grave cost and funeral processing services through Cheque, debt, cash or credit card.
Cheques can be made payable to Islamic Society of Markham
The family also needs to pay at the Cemetery for the burial charges through cash, debit and credit card. Please note, cemetery office does not accept cheques.
Frequently Asked Questions
Funeral FAQ (7)
Contact Markham Masjid Funeral Services 24×7 contact (listed above). Provide your contact info, time of death and place of death.
Markham Masjid Funeral Coordinator will arrive as soon as the “Death Certificate – FORM 16” has been issued by the authorities.
Please ensure that the information of the deceased on the “Death Certificate” is accurate. If you notice anything that is incorrect, please request the authorities to correct it.
Does Markham Masjid process funeral for a deceased body that is to be transported long distance or overseas?
No, Markham Masjid does not offer such a service.
Payment for Grave, Bathing, Shroud, Coffin and Transportation is to be made to Markham Masjid through debit card or cheque.
Payment for Grave Opening and Closing Services is to be paid to the respective Cemetery.
Our funeral services includes; documentation, transportation, wooden caskate, shroud. Gave cost is extra.
Please visit Revenue Canada Website for the Death Benefits: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-death-benefit.html
Body is stored at Markham Masjid for next day funeral only. For extended storage facility, contact the hospital or morgue.
For additional question or concerns, contact:
647-233-ISM6 (4766) – 24x7
To request a copy of Proof-of-Death Certificate please email: [email protected]
Several families require financial assistance during the time of death. You can donate in order to help a needy family during their difficult times.